Reading time ( words)
In a recent survey, we asked PCB designers about expectations, particularly fabricators’ expectations of their PCB designer customers. The overwhelming majority (84%) of respondents indicated that a fabricator’s primary expectation of a designer is a complete, accurate data package.
A handful of respondents (6%) cited a solid understanding of the fabrication process, while even fewer (4%) said that fabricators expected frequent communication with their design customers.
Here are some of the survey comments, edited slightly for clarity:
- “A complete and accurate data package is high on the list. Getting an approved stackup is another. Using the right trace and space rules for finished copper thickness. Basically, they expect us to provide a package that can be fabricated using their process that is not pushing the boundaries on every item.”
- “Timely, correct, and cooperative feedback on issues discovered with a job.”
- “Designers must be expert at managing and implementing high-speed design rules.”
- “Fabricators expect us to have frequent communications.”
- “A full, detailed manufacturing package, including special requirements.”