Reading time ( words)
Electronic System Design (ESD) industry revenue increased 17.5% from $3,191.4 million in Q2 2021 to $3,748.7 million in Q2 2022, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced today in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 15.3%.
“The electronic design automation (EDA) industry in Q2 2022 posted the highest year-over-year (YOY) increase in over a decade,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “Quarterly revenue reached a record $3,748.7 million. All product categories and geographic regions recorded growth in the quarter.”
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 54,408 people globally in Q2 2022, an 8.9% increase over the Q2 2021 headcount of 49,964 and up 6% compared to Q1 2022.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by Product and Application Category – Year-Over-Year Change
- Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) revenue increased 12.1% to $1,137.3 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 12.9%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue increased 13% to $657 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category increased 0.6%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 22% to $347.1 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM rose 12.9%.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue jumped 22.6% to $1,476.7 million. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 25.3%.
- Services revenue increased 23.2% to $130.7 million. The four-quarter Services moving average increased 24.8%.
Revenue by Region – Year-Over-Year Change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,643.4 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 20.2% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 18.5%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) procured $472 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 13.7% increase. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 9%.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services increased 6.1% to $252.3 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 4.3%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) procured $1,381 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 17.9% increase. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 16.1%.