Reading time ( words)
In a recent survey, we asked the following question: What part does profitability play in your PCB design planning process? Here are a few of the comments, edited slightly for clarity.
- It is important that our designs meet all of our requirements for the minimum cost.
- A very small amount. Our profit is related to production parts. We offer design help to get the production.
- Profitability is a production concept. It plays a large part in volume. Like any other product purchased in volume, shaving 10 cents off the cost of a million PCBs saves ten thousand dollars. Conversely, putting in extra effort to shave ten cents off your PCB one-offs is an expense with no return.
- We think of it more from a design for manufacturability aspect. We assume (maybe incorrectly?) that if it is readily producible, with high reliability and good yields, it will maximize our profit.
- Profitability is of central importance. A good design with no hope of profitability is not really a good design.