Reading time ( words)
The Horton Grand Hotel in San Diego was the site of “A Night of Happy-ness” on the evening of Monday, February 3, 2020. I-Connect007 transformed the Regal Ballroom into a cozy lecture hall with two key objectives: to award the I-Connect007 Good for the Industry awards, and to celebrate the life, achievements, and personality that is industry pioneer Happy Holden.
The evening started with cocktails and appetizers. Barry Matties served as master of ceremonies, setting the mood with a mix of humor and sincerity.
The headliner of the evening was Happy Holden, who shared his memories and reminiscences growing up, as a student at Oregon State University, and then as a true pioneer at Hewlett-Packard. Happy’s career brought him in contact with virtually every other luminary in the electronics and computer segments. Happy kept the crowd captivated with funny stories and interesting asides, right up to the scheduled Q&A session.
I-Connect007 was also pleased to announce the recipients of this year’s prestigious Good for the Industry Award. I-Connect007 columnists from various industry segments—including Design007, PCB007, SMT007, and Flex007—were recognized and celebrated for sharing their knowledge and expertise with the industry. This year’s recipients each contributed a minimum of 50 columns, articles, interviews, etc., since becoming I-Connect007 columnists.
Publisher Barry Matties said, “At I-Connect007, we believe being good for the industry means helping the industry improve cycle time, lower cost, increase yields, build better products, increase profitability, reduce waste, become overall more efficient, do things differently, and motivate and inspire others to do the same—all things that are good for the industry. These are things that we strive to do in our own business every day.”
Kiersten Rohde, I-Connect007 editor and columnist coordinator, stated, “It was an honor to recognize these columnists and all the work they have contributed to the industry over many years. They're an incredible group of industry experts and I greatly respect their commitment to education and knowledge-sharing.”
The entire I-Connect007 team congratulates these recipients and thanks them for being good for the industry.
- Dan Beaulieu – “It’s Only Common Sense” – D.B. Management Group – PCB007
- Dominique K. Numakura – “EPTE Newsletter” – DKN Research – Flex007/PCB007
- Barry Olney – “Beyond Design” – In-Circuit Design (iCD) – Design007
- Steve Williams – “The Right Approach” – The Right Approach Consulting – PCB007
- Michael Carano – “Trouble in Your Tank” – RBP Chemical Technology – PCB007
- John Coonrod – “Lightning Speed Laminates” – Rogers Corporation – Design007
- Tara Dunn – “Flex Talk” – Omni PCB – Flex007/PCB007
- Joe Fjelstad – “Flexible Thinking” – Verdant Electronics – Flex007
- Michael Ford – “Smart Factory Insights” – Aegis Software – SMT007
- Jennie S. Hwang – “SMT Perspectives and Prospects” – H-Technologies Group – SMT007
- Tom Kastner – “Punching Out!” – GP Ventures – PCB007
- Istvan Novak – “Quiet Power” – Samtec – Design007
- Ray Prasad – “SMT Solver” – Ray Prasad Consultancy Group – SMT007
- Mark Thompson – “The Bare (Board) Truth” – Prototron Circuits – Design007